Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Wordless Wednesday: Woman and a Poodle

Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.

Several times I have written about my inability to learn more about my Irish aunties in New York. In particular there are numerous photos of a woman with a poodle. She is probably one of the sisters of my great grandmother Mary Theresa Sheehan Killeen Walsh, but which one is the question. This is the oldest photo of them, dated 1915.

Woman and Poodle 1915 relative of Mary Theresa Sheehan Killeen Walsh  https://jollettetc.blogspot.com






What does the back say? Is her name Salma Moss? Or is this a place, Salma, Massachusetts? Is it supposed to be Salem, not Salma?

Back of 1915 photo Salem, Massachusetts woman and a poodle maybe sister of Mary Theresa Sheehan Killeen Walsh  https://jollettetc.blogspot.com


Wendy
© 2017, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

7 comments:

  1. Looking at style of houses behind her, maybe this is Salem, Mass. What does the last word say? "Emmy" maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you commented on the houses. I think too that they have that "New England look." I am guessing the last word is the dog's name - Emmy, Anny, Cuncy?

      Delete
  2. I was also trying to determine what that last word said. Is it close to any of her sister's names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the name doesn't look like any of the sisters' names. In other photos of the dog, the dog is identified as Cutey. I think maybe this is a forerunner of Cutey - maybe Cutey's mother. I have a picture of 2 dogs together dated 1917.

      Delete
  3. Is the last word perhaps Euncy? Did she have a sister name Eunice? Also, perhaps you could post the photo on a local Facebook genealogy group and see if they agree it is Salem or Selma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Eunice in the family, but that's another interesting interpretation. In all the photos of this woman, her children or grandchildren, and the dog or dogs, it was her habit to identify the dog and children, never the adults. So, like I said to Debi, I think this is the dog's name.

      Delete
  4. Definitely looks like New England. My first thought was it looks like my great-grandparent's home in Connecticut. I'd have to guess Salem, too.

    ReplyDelete