Monday, March 6, 2017

Mystery Monday: Have I Found the Hedermans?

Mystery Monday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks us to share mystery ancestors or mystery records – anything in our family history research which is currently unsolved.  With any luck fellow genealogy bloggers will lend their eyes to what has been found so far and possibly help solve the mystery.

With St. Patrick’s Day just a few days away, my Irish family is more on my mind than usual. Last year with the help of Dara at Black Raven Genealogy, I was able to identify the names of my Irish aunties in New York and to track them and their children at least through the 1940 census.

As I was looking through old family photos the other day, I started paying attention to the unidentified people in photos passed down to me from my great-grandmother Mary Theresa Sheehan Killeen Walsh by way of my grandaunt Helen Killeen Parker. When I looked at this woman and two children

Possibly Johanna Sheehan Hederman, Catherine and John  https://jollettetc.blogspot.com


the family tree of Mary Theresa’s oldest sister Johanna Hederman suddenly popped into my head. Only two of Johanna’s seven children survived past 1900, a girl born in 1887 and a boy born nine years later in 1896.

The children look to be about 13 and 4, or 14 and 5. The woman has dark hair like the women in other photos of supposed sisters of Mary Theresa.

If my hunch is right, then I am looking at Johanna Hederman (1861 – before 1940), Catherine (1887 – 1967) and John (1896 – after 1930).

What date would you put on this photo?
  
Wendy
© 2017, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck dating the photo. Maybe a museum or historical society would have some insights on dating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could also post the photo in a genealogy group on Facebook too.

      Delete
  2. Wouldn't it be wonderful if this turned out to be Johanna and her two children? I love what they're all wearing, by the way. Where was the photo taken, any idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They lived in your neighborhood, Marian! The Bronx. They moved every few years - 3rd Ave, 159th St, Fort Independence St, Webster Ave, E 187th St. The picture doesn't look too citified though, do you think? Maybe they were at a park.

      Delete
  3. There were some parks in the area, but the building in the distance looks more like a private school or mansion IMHO. Not sure where it might be! Perhaps consider posting the photo in the FB NYC Genealogy group to ask whether anyone can ID it in the Bronx?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck dating the photo and finding out where it was taken, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the house in the background. I would be clueless in dating the photo; I would say early 1900s?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, great photo. I'd say the age difference looks right but I'm no help with dating photos. Facebook sounds like a great place to get help, though. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete