Friday, November 11, 2016

Genealogy Photo a Day 11: Green

Genealogy Photo a Day is a month-long challenge coordinated by Genealogy Girl Talks.

This ruffle top lemonade pitcher is one of the many family heirlooms that have come to me. Unfortunately, I do not know its real history. Since it had been in the home of my grandaunt Violetta Davis Ryan, the pitcher might have belonged to her mother Mary Frances Jollett Davis. Or Violetta might have inherited it when her sister Velma Davis Woodring passed away. Then again, it is entirely possible Violetta bought it herself from an antiques dealer.

The hand-painted deer in snow seems to be an unusual design. Most ruffle top pitchers that I have seen in shops and online have painted flowers and vines.

The lemonade pitcher was quite popular in the Victorian era when lemonade was often served as an alternative to alcohol. In fact, Lucy Hayes, wife of President Rutherford B. Hayes, was nicknamed “Lemonade Lucy” because no alcohol was allowed in the White House during her husband’s presidency.

I wonder if Lucy Hayes owned ruffle top pitchers.

Look for me on Instagram (@Wendymath27) and Twitter (@Wendymath).

Wendy
© 2016, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. What a delightful pitcher! Thank you for the Lemonade Lucy story, which is nice historical background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, great historical background, Wendy, and a lovely heirloom. I'd never heard of or seen a ruffle top pitcher before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know those were called ruffle top pitchers - makes sense!

    ReplyDelete