Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wordless Wednesday: Two Boys

Wordless Wednesday is a daily prompt at Geneabloggers that asks family historians to create a post in which the main focus is a photograph or image.


Unidentified boys in photo album of Mary Frances Jollett Davis


This cabinet card is one of several in a photo album belonging to my great grandmother Mary Frances Jollett Davis.  Like the others, the subjects are unknown to me.  However, this one is especially charming because the boys are so well-dressed.  

The photography studio was Star Studio in Shenandoah, Virginia.




© 2014, Wendy Mathias.  All rights reserved.

12 comments:

  1. Aah, what sweet boys who look as if they would really rather be elsewhere. We are so lucky these days to be able to snap and print anywhere, anytime but back then you had to dress up and stand still for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and we can delete those horrible pictures.

      Delete
  2. Aw, they're so cute! I wonder what their life was like...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. Did they become farmers? Railroad men? Who were their wives and children?

      Delete
  3. Oh, don't you wish there was a way to find out who these two are?! I love the expression on the taller boy's face. Wonder what he was thinking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, "Mom, I'm too old for this collar." (Even if he wasn't!)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I wonder how many shoe buttoners their mom had. I wonder if that was one of those tools that got lost as quickly as a remote control.

      Delete
  5. It tickles me to see frills on little boys. Love the collar. I think the boys look like they're eager to be done with the photo session and get back to regular clothes and play.

    Thinking of the button hooks -- I've seen them before and it's hard to imagine them being easy to manipulate when the boot's on the foot of a young boy!

    I hope some family member - a distant relative to you - sees the photo and recognizes these boys. They deserve to have their names attached to their photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hoping someone will recognize these photos!

      I hadn't considered how much fun it had to be buttoning boys' shoes. I guess that's why someone invented velcro.

      Delete